When we were trying to decide where to go on a trip this winter I had one request: Somewhere with flamingos. A quick google search narrowed it down to Aruba where they actually have a flamingo island. I was instantly sold. The Renaissance Hotel owns an island in Aruba that is home to about 6 flamingos. A short 10 minute boat trip brings you to the island which is surrounded by turquoise water and white sand. The island is also home to a crazy amount of iguanas and fish. The water is so crystal clear that you can see the fish swimming in the water when you look down.
If you’re staying at the hotel it’s free to visit the island. If you aren’t staying at a different hotel you can purchase a day pass. You can call first and make sure they have passes available for that day. I suggest going early in the morning because the island gets alot busier midday. There’s a restaurant on the island to grab some lunch and I highly recommend the pizza. It was probably the best gluten free pizza I’ve ever had.
On the island, you’ll find a vending machine full of flamingo food to purchase for a quarter. The flamingos roam around and you can approach them slowly with your hand out and if they’re hungry they’ll eat right from your hand. It was seriously a dream come true for me. Flamingos have always been my favourite animal (for obvious reasons) and getting to feed them and swim with them was amazing. If you accidentally drop the food into the water there are a bunch of fish that will swim right up to you and eat it. It’s seriously amazing. The flamingos are so fun to watch. They are such beautiful creatures. The pictures speak for themselves. They are so pretty and some of the pictures I took don’t even look real! I’m sure you can tell from these pictures that I never wanted to leave. I feel like I could just live there and fit right in haha. I don’t think I stopped laughing and smiling the whole time. I hope to go back at some point. It was definitely the highlight of the trip for me. I don’t think many people can say they’ve taken a selfie with a flamingo. I can now check that off my bucket list.
BEST. DAY. EVER.
SHOP THE POST:
SHOP THE LOOK ABOVE:
SHOP THE LOOK ABOVE:
SHOP THE LOOK ABOVE:
Skirt: c/o Chicwish
SHOP THE LOOK ABOVE:
SHOP THE LOOK ABOVE:
Cover Up: Hudson’s Bay
When it comes to travelling I’m 100% an overpacker. Can anyone else relate? I never know what I’m going to need or what I’m going to feel like wearing so I like to bring as much as I can possibly fit in my suit case and carry on. However, it seems that no matter how much I overpack I always forget something. This time it was warm clothes. I knew Aruba was going to be 90 degrees everyday, but I completely forgot to factor in the air conditioning. Lesson learned for next time. I’ve included a roundup below of some of my favourite travel essentials.
I actually don’t love flying and travelling. I really love going on vacation, but I could do without the process of getting there. Can teleportation exist already? In the past I’ve had anxiety on planes and when travelling so I ended up finding ways to make travelling more relaxing and stand-able for me. I use alot of Saje when I travel. I also always bring a blanket from home, relaxing music and a movie marathon queued on my laptop. We often travel on Westjet and I always pay the extra fee for Plus seats. That way my boyfriend and I have a row to ourselves with an empty seat in the middle that is set to be a table. We set up the laptop in the middle and I always make sure I have the double head phone connector so we can watch the same movie together. We always have a bunch of pre-rented movies from iTunes ready to go.
I’ve also become obsessed with using Saje when I travel as a more natural way to calm my nerves. This little Saje travel kit comes with everything you could possibly need while travelling. It comes with a Healing Skin Ointment, Arrive Revived Jet Leg Mist & Roller, Eater’s Digest Digestion Easing Remedy and a Safe Hands Lotion. It may seem a little baby-ish, but I always bring a blanket from home with me when I travel. I like to spray it with my Saje calming mist and then use it as a pillow on the airplane. It’s so comforting.
I always like to have a bunch of cute cosmetics bags ready to go when I travel. I use them to organize my makeup, skincare, shower products, hair accessories, medicine and sunscreen.
I’m crazy about my new pink luggage. I was long overdue for a new set and I’m in love with this one. It held up really well on it’s first trip and only had a few scuff marks that came off with a little wash when I got home.
Here are a few more of my favourite travel essentials:
- A moisturizer with SPF. This one by Reversa has SPF 30 and is formulated to reduce brown spots and acne marks, while restoring radiance.
- Benefit Bronzer & Blush. I’ve found that Benefit bronzers and blush give me the most natural look. I swear by the Hoola products. All of them. Seriously, if you aren’t using them yet I don’t know how you get by.
- A really good mascara. I actually realized once I got to the resort that I forgot my makeup remover. I was seriously in luck because this new Clinique mascara that I’ve been testing out actually doesn’t need a makeup remover! It comes off with my cleanser in little tubes and doesn’t leave any black marks on your eyes. I went the whole week with no makeup remover! Definitely a first for me.
- Flamingo towel clips. How cute are these? And they are a must for windy days at the beach.
- A tropical punch lipgloss. This Dior Addict Fluid Stick is my absolute favourite. I was literally scraping the bottom of my last one for weeks trying to get every last bit out of it and then finally caved and bought a new one. You know a pink lip product is good when I actually re-buy it because I definitely don’t need any more pink lip products. So it’s really saying something if I re-buy one.
- A cute beach bag. Avon sent me this super cute gold pineapple beach bag. I love it!
- I always toss this Joe Fresh Blush Stick into my beach bag because it can be used on cheeks, lips or eyes and instantly brightens up your face.
- Cute sunnies are a must. I picked up this pair from Aldo super last minute before I left and they are currently only $8.00!
- I got this hot pink Ceramic Glaze nail polish from Shoppers Drug Mart and I love how bright it is. It also looks really good on a newly tanned skin tone.
- Less sleep and more sun means a good under-eye cream is a must! I love this Take a Deep Breath Oil-Free Oxygenating Gel Cream from Philosphy. It’s so creamy and not oily. It also doesn’t irritate.
- The cutest pair of pink flop flops I can find. These one’s with a oversized pink bow are available HERE. I always get so many compliments when I wear them. It doesn’t get much cuter than that.
Do you have any travel essentials that you swear by? I’d love to hear about them!
A little black dress is essential for the holiday season because it’s inevitable that you’ll be attending many fancy occasions and it’s also inevitable that you’ll be stuck with nothing to wear at one point or another. I always have an LBD on standby that is figure flattering and can be paired with just about anything – coat, tights, scarf, cape or a cute blazer. There’s so many ways to mix and match so even if you are going to be seeing the same people at some of the parties, they’ll never notice that you’re wearing the same outfit.
This LBD below is from one of my favourite stores, Ever New and it’s the most perfect little black dress that I’ve ever owned. Seriously, this fringe is next level. The beautiful coat and clutch are also from Ever New. I’ve written about Ever New on here many times before, ever since they opened a location at the Toronto Eaton Centre. However, since they only had locations in Toronto and BC I felt bad that the rest of Canada couldn’t experience them. Well, that is all about to change! They are about to launch an ecommerce website and all of Canada will be able to discover all of the things I love about Ever New! I always say “I could buy the whole store” because it’s one of those stores where you walk in and you literally fall in love with everything. Not great news for your wallet, but fantastic news for your wardrobe
You can check out the teaser site HERE. You’ll be able to shop the items very soon so stay tuned!
And check out their blog HERE. You’ll even see yours truly featured in a blog post called “How to Update your Fall Wardrobe.”
Dress: c/o Ever New | Coat: c/o Ever New | Clutch: c/o Ever New | Shoes: Kate Spade